RocK the Shot

Rock the Shot

Monday, September 30, 2013

Baby with a Broken Leg :(

It's been a year since my baby broke his leg. It was a horrible experience. So glad we made it through.
Did you know a common way for babies to brake their legs is my going down a slide on parents laps. When I was a little kid I saw a baby with two casts... It was a slide injury. I always was super careful as a babysitter with slides..
Well my 22 month old was running through the house with his 6 year old brother chasing him. He fell off the step from the kitchen to the living room and brother fell on top of him. I went to help a screaming baby and tried to get him to stand and he wouldn't!
So took him to ER and they couldn't find a brake, but put him in a soft cast because it was the weekend.
Came back two days later and got a full leg cast. It was explained as a Toddler Fracture... come back in ten days and we should see healing on the x-ray.
I was heart broken to see my once crazy active baby not be able to move. But it lasted for about 3 days... And then he became a master at the butt scoot. We took him to the beach and triple bagged his cast and he had fun digging.
10 days later the doctor was right you could see the line in his X-ray showing healing where it hurt so he had to get another cast.
He was in a cast for 6 weeks and then a walking boot for 2 weeks and then he was free. It seemed like forever at the time but it passed by quickly.
If you find yourself in the same predicament make sure you side with caution too. I hated that cast and if I could've I would taken it off ASAP but I know we had the best of care. My son had a limp for about 5 days and he walks perfectly.


He was on the "injured list" for the 49ers for halloween. Lots of laughs and well wishes.

I made his soft helmet  Directions Here


Brother and sister soccer games were difficult.
I put a soccer sock to protect the toes and cast
and this is what he got.
Poor Guy



The walking boot was great because baths are back in the
routine!

We did lots of sponge baths, took a shower only once. :( It was too difficult to hold him and not get water in his cast... The sink worked out a bit....

We have the funniest videos of him dancing with a diaper and cast.

No comments:

Post a Comment